To ease the process of setting up counselling support after a motor vehicle accident (MVA), feel free to use this check-list to assist you in selecting a Registered/Certified Counselling Therapist | Counsellor | Psychotherapist:
• Verify if the therapist is a registered provider with ICBC. In most case only a registered provider with ICBC can perform third-party direct billing;
• Is your counselling service provider able to share documents in a secure and prompt manner with third parties, such as ICBC or your lawyer/legal representative?
• Is your counsellor skilled in providing the necessary documentation relevant to processing your claim?
• Client user fees are often essential to offer you a sustainable service. They vary from one counselling practice to another. Hiring a counsellor may add to your monthly budget. Determining the exact amount of the user fee prior to booking is advisable.
• As per ICBC some counselling cost could be covered with Extended Health. This coverage can be verified by you with your Extended Health Benefits provider. This can be completed prior to submitting a claim for ICBC related counselling expense (coverage for the user fee).
• It is also advisable to determine the exact date of your accident, the recent changes to ICBC’s coverage may impact how your claim is processed. For example, for accidents prior to April 1st, 2019, claimants require a physician’s referral to access approved services.